Sunday, December 7, 2008

End-of-term grades

This is the last week of class. I've been crazy busy with interviewing Peer Educators, grading papers, laying the groundwork for next term. But it's grade time, so let's see how I've done on some important goals.

Connect with monastic community. B+. I teach one class per week at a well-known Buddhist monastery. I have permission to stay overnight there when I like, and to participate as a meditator. I often come before my class starts or stay after to meditate. But I haven't managed an overnight. I love teaching these students, mostly monks and nuns. They like to talk about the dharma in English, we enjoy each other's company, and it's a nice break for them and for me.

Explore Rock Climbing. A-. I've connected with a group of young men in a city north of here. We've been out exploring twice, and we did a little training each time. They are becoming competent at belaying and tying in, and a developing a feel for building anchors. They don't quite trust themselves with that yet, which is probably a good thing. We are still working to identify suitable crags for top-roping. Will it all come together Jauary-March? Will they develop into an independent group capable of developing their own areas? We need help. Someone come out and teach us to bolt.

Teaching. B-. I had great good fortune at the seminary. My theology background has served me well. They are a fantastic progressive group of people who are hungry to make a mark on their country and their world. With my regular place of employment, I tried too hard and aimed too high (as usual). I have to remember that I'm at a language school and not a university. Still, students appreciate having someone with university teaching experience and high expectations, and they are forgiving of my blunders and confusion. Next term will be different, and better.

Self-Care. D. A failing grade would probably mean that I'm in a coma, and I'm not, so it could be worse. But exercise has been abandoned, my meditation practice is on life support, and I am waiting for my spouse to come rescue me from the Slough of Despair. I do get some points for not drinking like an ex-pat, frequenting houses of ill repute, or developing a heroin addiction. Instead, I channel surf for action adventure re-runs starring Steven Segal and his ilk.

Learning the Native Language. F. Ouch.

A lot of people tell me that I'm too hard on myself. Advice heeded. Overall grade is in the C range. I'm passing. That's OK.

No comments: