Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Colorado

Well, it's nice to see everything on my screen in English. The "sign out" link for instance. Or the link that I click so that I can create a new post. I remember that that link is called "Acceder"in Spanish. One could imagine that one could learn a lot of Spanish just by learning to navigate around a Spanish-language web page. One would be wrong. I've forgotten most of it, and for all I know, "Acceder" means "There's nothing on t.v. so let's blog." I suppose I could look it up, but it's all moot now. I'm back in an English language environment. Refreshingly familiar. Magical.

I spend a lot of time gazing longingly at the Continental Divide. The remainder, I distribute among 1) hiking and training, 2) taking care of loose ends and planning the next stage, 3) being with my brother and sister-in-law, watching shows, eating and drinking, connecting, and 4) holding my breath. Can I hold it for 10 days? I hope that at the end of this time, one way or another, I can stop checking my email and skype messages. I'd like to leave all electronic devices behind, and head up Clear Creek, and not stop until I reach 14000 feet. I want to be able to hear the crunch of snow and neve under my feet, twelve months per year. At a certain altitude, no one owns you, and you don't own anything or anybody.

And I want to have my Penelope at my side.

No comments: